Educational Programs at Brandywine Battlefield Historic Site
- Why was the Battle of Brandywine so important and how did it fall into the big picture of the American Revolution?
- Why are George Washington and Lafayette honored as heroes?
- What did the common soldier endure during the American Revolution?
- How did the Battle of Brandywine impact the local population and the Brandywine Valley?
- Why is it important to preserve old structures and historic landscapes?
These questions and many others will be answered during our interesting and interactive programming designed to enable students to develop new historic perspectives and understandings. Interpreters in period clothing lead students through a series of discovery-oriented activities at various locations inside our park grounds for a true “Revolutionary” experience.
Available Educational Programming at Brandywine Battlefield Park:
Basic Education Package: Two programs which can be chosen from our Education Brochure (link below), a 20-minute orientation film highlighting the Battle of Brandywine and other pertinent information, and a house tour (Washington’s Headquarters or Gideon Gilpin home).Rate price per student: $8.50
Colonial Day Program: Designed for larger groups. Includes 6-8, 25 minute rotating stations with different period interpreters. Included as a station is our orientation film with the gift shop as an optional station as well. Rate per student: $12.00
To view the education programs we offer follow the link below:
Other important school programming/group visit information:
- Programming is available seven days a week!
- Outreach programming is available. Contact us to find out how we can visit you!
- Required time for Basic Programming is 2-3 hrs, Colonial Day Program 3-4 hrs.
- One adult chaperone is required for every 10 students
- For every 10 students one free chaperone is permitted. After this ratio is fulfilled, additional chaperones will be required to pay normal student rate.
- Special tours lasting more than 3 hours with additional programs will increase fee per student
- Step-On guides are available for Full Battlefield Tours. Visitors that wish to receive this option, must have at least one hour available for the full tour. Visitors are expected to supply their own method of transportation. Call Visitor’s Center for pricing and additional information.
- All Programs/Colonial Days/Driving Tours must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance before the intended visit date.
- Upon arrival, group leaders please report to the Reception desk at the Visitors Center for payment of fees and distribution of tour schedules. We will help you keep our picnic areas free of litter by making available at the desk. Be sure to ask for one!
- To create a personalized visit, just pick one or more of the following programs and explore this website with your students. Everything you need for a fun and educational visit to Brandywine Battlefield Park is right at your fingertips!
- Rain dates are available subject to availability
- Bus or van drivers are expected to transport students from the Visitors Center to the historic houses on site. Drivers are welcome to join tour groups at no extra charge.
- Bringing siblings is not encouraged. If they attend, the usual student rate will be charged.
- No headsets or personal stereos allowed in the buildings
- No cell phones or personal electronic devices allowed during school visits
- No eating, drinking, smoking, or chewing gum is permitted in the Visitors Center or historic houses on site
- Eating facilities include outside picnic tables only.
- Museum gift shop with educational toys and books is available to students if time permits.
- Additional questions? Don’t hesitate to call us!
For Reservations and Bookings contact:
Andrew Outten, Director of Education & Museum Services
610.459.3342 or firstname.lastname@example.org
**Ask about our new Chester County Animated Map Program! This program is designed to take the place of our magnetic map and will illustrate troop movements and the different aspects of the battle while a trained guide narrates.**